Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

47 Ronin Movie Review

Category: Popcorn Movie

I have been a huge fan of Keanu Reeves ever after seeing him in the movie Speed. I do not know about this man but he seems so ageless even with those ugly face hairs.
 
I love Japanese movies usually because of all the proverbs, life lessons and philosophies you hear at the end of the movie. I read a summary about the real life 47 Ronin and its impact on Japanese history and culture. You would have thought that Hollywood would have been more careful in handling their wonderful epic story.
 
47 Ronin is about samurai warriors who have no Lord or master. The thing that strikes me funny is what the hell is a white man doing in this movie? His storyline and character does not fit in the whole thing. And why in God's name the Japanese are talking in straight English. It is so unrealistic. It takes me back to watching Tom Cruise's Last Samurai. Now that is what I call quality Hollywood- Japanese movie. Truthfully, the only reason that made me spend money on this semi- garbage movie is Keanu. Period.
 
Having read the Wikipedia profile on this movie and reading how much they spent on it, I readily bet right after watching that it is going to bomb in the box office. Quite frankly, if they haven't spent so much time creating a love story angle for Keanu and his love interest, it would have been a better version of the final product. I feel like the director is trying to put enough screen time for his superstar to satisfy his fan or so I think, but I would have prefer doing it in the traditional sense which is focusing on the focal plot. The 47 Ronin.
 
The special effects and costume design are beautifully crafted for this film. I think the antagonist is miscast and I thought they would've done better casting a better Japanese actor to make him looked more formidable.
 
Overall, this movie is not worth spending money on. I would suggest waiting it to be shown in TV.
 
Rating: 4.5/10
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment