Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bride for Rent Movie Review

Category: RomCom

Ever since my sister told me about this new movie, I am so excited since I loved their last movie together. Boy was I wrong... I was supposed to watch Grudge Match with my father and sister but unfortunately, the screening didn't last 7 days in the cinema. So after unanimous votes, we ended up watching this film together. 
 
Bride for Rent is your typical RomCom, Girl falls in love with a douche guy. Douche guy became a better man for the girl. Girl tell guy can't be with her. Guy convince girl they are meant for each other. Okay so maybe not your typical RomCom but it still close.
 
The movie basically tells a story about an heir played by Xian Lim who lives lavishly, selflessly and without consequence of his actions. Because of an irresponsible choice, he ended up creating a fake marriage to get his inheritance from his wealthy grandmother to pay off his enormous debt.  Meanwhile, Rocky played by Kim Chiu is a down- her- luck actress who is basically the breadwinner of her whole family although having several big "healthy" brothers and a father who I believe could've made their fate fared better. Predictably, she ended up being the fake bride.
 
Kim Chiu is undoubtedly one of the most gifted young actress of her time and have consistently delivered great acting for her past several films. This movie is not one of them. She is not the worst part of the film. The two young stars are both terrible. The only saving grace would be the legendary Pilita Corales. Now that is acting. Her delivery is impeccable and I hope the two young actors would emulate and learn from the veteran.
 
Usually, when I watched movies, I feel connected. 20 minutes into the movie, I still fell out of sync. The whole thing feels forced, rushed. I think the production team would have done a better job if they would have fine tune the minor details. Acting basically comes first into my mind.
 
This movie is box office gold in less than a week so obviously a lot of people enjoyed it or maybe they were just duped the same way as I was. Star Cinema is very lucky to have very marketable stars in their belt because this is not one of their recent best feature films.
 
Rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment