Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Robocop Reboot Movie Review

Category: Popcorn Movie

I have nothing against remakes or reboots. Although there have been some really bad ones but there have been really great ones like the reboot of Batman. So I usually keep an open mind.
 
I have seen all Robocop movies. I even remembered watching it in Betamax. It came as no surprise that they have picked a relatively unknown actor to play the protagonist. I bet the producers would've wanted to get a better known actor but maybe no one wanted to be connected to this film. Fortunately for them, they got a good one for it (Joel Kinnaman). It helps also that several known veterans have agreed to be part of the reboot
 
I love this new take because the plot is very well- thought and have carefully detailed how the process of creating a robocop. I appreciate that they respect the essence of this film, the integration of science in humans. It is very realistic in a way that possibility for it happening may happen sooner than we all thought and if our choices in the end would be worth it. The script is smart, crisp and fast- paced. No boring moments. I thought all scenes were in sync with each other. I specifically love the training scenes and the bike! I super loved the way they designed the BIKE! Plus they obviously spent money on special effects which is great to watch in the big screen.

Kudos to Michael Keaton. He did a pretty good job. I have always loved his laid- back acting and very charismatic screen presence. Samuel L. Jackson as usual is great and I love his script and the way he delivers them especially if laced with sarcasm. The guy can do no wrong.

Joel Kinnaman may be a newcomer but he is destined to play this character. I was a little skeptical about this new film mostly because of this actor. I don't know if he has the capacity to carry this reboot successfully like Brandon Routh in Superman. But fortunately for fans such as myself, Mr. Kinnaman has the swagger and the charisma to swing it.
 
Overall, watch this movie in cinemas. It is a great reboot and really hoping for a sequel. Hope people will give this one a chance.
 
Rating: 8/10

Next one(s): Winter's Tale, Vampire Academy, Endless Love (remake), Starting Over Again (Star Cinema)

No comments:

Post a Comment