Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Star Cinema Starting Over Again Movie Review

 
Category: RomCom Drama Movie

Usually, I do not have any expectation when watching Filipino Romantic Comedy or Drama movies in recent time. Quite honestly, I just want to have fun and be entertained because formula for movies like this is pretty much the same across the board.  In short, there is nothing to analyze or talk about when you watch this type of movies. Surprisingly, this movie is not one of those.
 
Do not hate on me when I say that Piolo Pascual is more beautiful than his love interest here. The guy is just too good- looking and it pains me when they are shot together side by side. Sorry Toni. Although I love your choice of wardrobe in this film.
 
Starting Over Again is beautifully scripted. Beautiful in such a way that it is so realistic and relatable. But before I dwell on that. I have a question which kept nagging me throughout the movie. Is it legal to have a teacher- student relationship? From what I understand, it's not. So forgive me for saying that when the two leads became a couple while Toni's character is still officially a student in the university. I'm a little bit uncomfortable. (I'm conservative/traditional. WHATEVER) Enough on the technicalities. The movie focuses on pretty much what the title of this film is: Starting Over Again. Basically, the film starts typically like any other Filipino romantic movies: funny however slightly over- acted. On the other hand, some people might actually be doing that in real life. But the gist of the film probably began on the arrival of the character of Iza Calzado. This woman is one of the best character actresses in her generation. Hands Down. The way she delivers her line, with the enunciation of each words is simply amazing. I found myself just focused on it. Wow! She is the gem of this film. One of the best scenes which some people might think to be too long (dialogue) is the scene between Piolo and Toni in the hospital. I thought that pretty much sums up what Starting Over Again is about.
 
Kudos to Olivia Lamasan for writing and directing such a beautiful movie. This is one of the best recent feature films on Romantic Comedy/Drama. And welcome back to Piolo Pascual. It has been a while since he has grace us with his presence in the big screen.
 
Rate: 9/10         
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment