Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Vampire Academy Movie Review

Category: Chick Flick

I love chick flicks. Actually, I am a sucker for it. When I saw Vampire Academy, I never heard about it before aside from the fact that the novel is non- existent to me and it didn't help the cast are relatively unknowns. It came to my knowledge thru my habitual viewing for new trailers from my ever dependent source: Youtube.
 
Truthfully, I just watched it without any expectation. I never realize that it was actually directed by Mark Waters of Mean Girls. Good thing I didn't know about that until the end of the movie.
 
Vampire Academy (film version) is fascinating because of the relationship of the characters. Although they could have done better in developing them but it seems that the director is more interested in creating another Twilight crazed franchise. Zoey Deutch who plays Rose Hathaway sort of ripped Ellen Page's acting technique for her part in this movie. She did play the character beautifully but it came off as unoriginal. Although she has intense chemistry with her love interest, Danila Kozlovsky who plays Dimitri Belikov, I still think the guy looks to old for her and it comes off a little creepy not in a bad way. Thank God. I am actually quite surprised that the Weinstein Brothers are behind this adaptation. I actually decided to read the book series after watching it and I ended up loving it. I find the movie disappointing then because they could've produced a better screen version especially knowing who are the producers and director behind it. Why did I decide to read it even if I was slightly disappointed? I am curious with the story of Dimitri and Rose. They are a fascinating couple and I believe it can rival with the Edward and Bella story. Twilight fans might not agree but I really don't care.
 
I think they did a good job casting Rose Hathaway but I would've preferred casting a different set of actors for the rest of the characters. After the reading book, I really hope they will continue the franchise. There are huge opportunities for improvement but I doubt if the studio behind it will continue backing it. I hope they would. I hope that the film will do well enough for it to continue.
 
Overall, it's a pretty good chick flick. Is it better than the rest of its contemporaries? Probably not. I still think this movie needs another shot because the books made me fall in love with the characters.
 
Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment