Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Winter's Tale Movie Review

Category: Romantic Drama/ Supernatural

I am not sure what I was thinking watching this movie on February 14 especially seeing the terrible traffic earlier that day. My mother actually asked me the same thing when I got home because she thought I was crazy for doing it. Be that as it may, as a movie addict, nothing can deter me from watching this film.
 
I absolutely have no idea what this movie is about. Only what I can gather from the trailer  and that is not even remotely close to what I saw in the movie. It didn't help that I am late for the screening. Hay.... I'll have to watch it again after its release on DVD
 
Quite Frankly, the movie confuses me so much so that even my sister asked me why are there monsters, horses with wings and diamonds that illuminates images. So while watching, I peeked into Wikipedia to see what we missed in the first 10 minutes. Unfortunately, there were nothing written yet in the plot so I was forced to understand and decipher the rest of the film.
 
Beverly Penn played by the beautiful Jessica Brown Fidlay met Peter Lake played by Colin Farrell while the latter was attempting to rob her house. The first setting of the movie was 1961 so forgive me if the first thing I noticed is the plumbing of the house. There was a scene wherein Beverly was trying to lower down her body temperature by dipping in a "pool" located inside the house. I was fascinated if that was even possible then. Anyway, the two fell in love and even knowing that Beverly is close to death, he still stayed to be with her. The question now is why after all these time after the death of his only love that he still lives on up until the present time. Aside from that twist, there is another unexpected character that will surprised you. I was and the rest of the moviegoers I was with.
 
The movie is beautifully directed although there are still flaws. For one, although the chemistry between the characters is there. It feels lacking. Story editing could have been improved because the film feels it should be an epic love story. That is where I believe it fell flat big time.
 
The romantic drama movie is average at best. Should you rush in the cinema to watch? Probably not. Maybe I could give it a better review if I was able to watch the whole thing but I highly doubt it. Still I will make another review once it's available.
 
Rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment